“Take Charge Or Resign!” – Gachagua Tells IG Kanja
Former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua has challenged Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja to take command of the National Police Service before the 2027 General Election or quit.
Gachagua made a demand in a letter to Kanja on Thursday, August 20, ahead of his planned campaign visit to the Emurua Dikirr Constituency in Narok County on August 21, 2026.
The former Deputy President questioned Kanja’s capacity to lead the Police Service, amid growing concerns about political violence and security agents’ actions during political activities.
He also asked that the Inspector General guarantee Kenyans that proper security measures were in place to protect him, his followers, and the Emurua Dikirr people during the event.
To Bwana IG, Kanja. pic.twitter.com/G1JMgES4BR— Rigathi Gachagua (@rigathi) August 20, 2026
The August 21 visit was part of Gachagua’s planned political tour and rally in Emurua Dikirr.
The DCP leader intends to mobilise support and strengthen an opposition coalition against President William Ruto ahead of the 2027 General Election.
He has particularly sought to expand his support among Kipsigis voters and described the mission as an effort to “lock” the constituency politically.
Gachagua said he would visit the constituency at the invitation of DCP candidate Vincent Rotich, who contested the May 14, 2026 by-election and finished second.
Thousands of DCP supporters and leaders from across the country are expected to accompany him for the planned thanksgiving occasion.
His concerns come days after violence disrupted a Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay, where goons attacked political supporters, journalists and vehicles.
Roads were blocked with stones and logs, while several people were injured and vehicles vandalised, with police later arresting suspects over the chaos.
|NCIC Summons Former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua|
The National Cohesion and Integration Commission has summoned former Deputy President H.E. Rigathi Gachagua, to appear before the Commission on Thursday, 27th August 2026 at 2:00 p.m. at Britam Towers, Upper Hill, Nairobi,… pic.twitter.com/rRR7VY55yV— NCIC Kenya (@NCIC_Kenya) August 18, 2026
The Homa Bay violence has renewed questions about the safety of political gatherings and the ability of security agencies to prevent organised attacks as the country moves closer to the 2027 elections.
Journalists covering the rally were among those attacked, with media organisations reporting injuries and damage to equipment and vehicles.
The concerns also follow violence witnessed during the Ol Kalou parliamentary by-election in July.
ALSO READ:
- Ex-Zambian Minister Killed By Police In Security Raid On Opposition
- Detectives Recover Over 180 IDs From TWO Gang Members In Busia
- “Take Charge Or Resign!” – Gachagua Tells IG Kanja
- Pope Leo Appoints Kenyan To The Vatican’s Development Dicastery
- “Stop Using Sifuna Rally To Endorse Kalonzo!” – MP Amisi Warns Leaders At Linda Mwananchi
During the polls, armed men attacked voters and journalists at polling centres.
Gachagua had previously accused Kanja of overseeing a security operation intended to disrupt the election, allegations that were denied by government officials.
Against this backdrop, Gachagua said his Emurua Dikirr visit had been preceded by threats from MP David Kipsang Keter and others.
He claimed that Keter had warned that Gachagua and his entourage should not enter the constituency.
Gachagua also recalled his January 30, 2026 visit to Kanja’s office, where he said he presented evidence concerning 24 attacks allegedly carried out against him.
He claimed no action had been taken for several months before challenging Kanja to take charge of the Police Service ahead of the 2027 General Election or resign.
“Take Charge Or Resign!” – Gachagua Tells IG Kanja
